Reg Park was one of the mid-twentieth-century’s most impressive bodybuilders. He was large, strong and possessed a symmetry that few of his contemporaries could rival. What is even more impressive was his longevity. As an avid reader of old Health and Strength magazines, I have seen countless photographs and articles on Reg Park from his early years as a Yorkshire teen to his champion bodybuilding days.
Here is Reg’s routine from his 1958 Mr. Universe days. Note how different it is from the 5×5 routine you often find linked to him. If nothing else, the man knew when to specialize!
Monday, Wednesday, Friday
- Heel Raises on Calf Machine, 5 x 30
- Heel Raises Donkey Style w/Partner, 5 x 30
- Prone Hyperextensions, 4 x 10
- Front Squats w/Heels Elevated 3.5 Inches, 5 x 5
- Deadlifts, 5 x 2
- Barbell Bent Over Rowing, 4 x 8
- 45 Degree Pulls to Chest w/Lat Machines, 4 x 10
- Chinning the Bar, 3 x 10
- Bench Press, 5 x 2
- Press Behind the Neck, 4 x 6
- One Arm DB Press, 3 x 8
- Upright Crucifix, 3 x 10
Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday
- Barbell Curls, 4 x 10
- Incline DB Curls, 4 x 10
- Seated DB Curls, 4 x 10
- Standing BB Tricep Curls, 4 x 10
- Lying Barbell Triceps Curls, 4 x 10
- Parallel Bar Dips on Extensions on Lat Machine, 4 x 10
If you want more information on Park’s bodybuilding philosophy, check out our previous post on his diet.
As always … Happy Lifting!