Known in bodybuilding circles as ‘The Blond Bomber’, Draper was one of the most iconic lifters in the late 1960s and early 1970s. Still pumping iron well into his seventies, Draper is a testament to the bodybuilding lifestyle.
The following bulking routine comes from an interview with the Bomber in the early 1970s.
Monday- Wednesday-Friday Routine
- Bench Press – 5 sets x 6 reps
- Incline Flies (Bent Arm) – 5 sets x 6 reps
- Press Behind the Neck – 5 sets x 6 reps
- Lateral Raise (Side Arm) – 5 sets x 6 reps
- Lying French Press – 5 sets x 6 reps
- Dips on Parallel Bars – 5 sets x 10 reps
- Incline DB Curls – 5 sets x 6 reps
- Barbell Curls – 5 sets x 6 reps
- Reverse Barbell Curl – 4 sets x 8 reps
- Barbell Wrist Curl – 4 sets x 15 reps
- Wide Grip Bent over Rowing – 5 sets x 8 reps
- Wide Grip Pull Ups (Palms Facing Away) – 5 sets x 8-10 reps
- Parallel Squats – 5 sets x 10 reps
- Thigh Curls – 5 sets x 10 reps
- Heel Raises – 10 sets x 15 reps
- Work the Abs every day for twenty minutes or so.
- Handle Moderate Weights – train quickly on your routine. Try to do 15 sets in a half hour period.
Dave mentioned that for best all round results, one should stick to 6 reps per set and 10 sets per body part. Some schools of thought will not agree with this statement but one should try to be open minded in the study of exercise patterns.