The following extract comes from Vince Gironda’s 1984 Book: Unleashing the Wild Physique (available here). This book cannot be recommended highly enough, from VInce’s no nonsense take on steroids to his innovative training techniques.
Today’s post comes from Vince’s advice on a lacto-vegetarian diet.
The Lacto-Vegetarian Diet
This is the easiest diet to follow because you can eat as much as you wish. It is composed of non-concentrated carbohydrates and protein from raw eggs, milk-and-egg protein powder, and half & half. You will also experience a sense of satisfaction that you can never get from a purely high-protein diet. I recommend this diet for obese people who have a hard time losing weight on any diet. The roughage will produce a cleansing effect in the intestines, which produces regularity and detoxification. This diet is great for breaking a rut if you’ve stopped making gains.
Vince’s Special Protein Drink
- 12 oz. half & half
- 12 raw eggs
- 1/3-1/2 cup milk-and-egg protein powder
- 1 Banana
(Make up to three of these drinks per day in a blender. Sip between meals.)
- 1 multi-vitamin tablet
- 1 chelated mineral tablet
- 3 Vitamin B complex
- 1 Vitamin B12 Tablet
- 1 Vitamin B15 Tablet
- 1 Vitamin C Complex (500mg)
- 3 Lysine tablets
- 3 Multi-glandular tablets (Nucleo Glan male or female)
Raw Mixed Vegetable Salad
- Ingredients: Avocado, bean sprouts, beets, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower heads, celery, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, green peppers, hard-boiled eggs, lettuce, mushrooms, parsley, spinach, water chestnuts, watercress, zucchini or squash.
- Toss and serve with olive oil, vinegar and chopped garlic or garlic powder.
- No salt or sugar.
- 1 Iron Tablet
- Same as breakfast
- Same as lunch
- Same as lunch
- 5 Amino-Acid Tablets or 1 oz. liquid amino acid (every 3 hours)
- 4 raw orchid-tissue tablets, 1 Vitamin B complex, 1 niacin tablet (before and after workouts)
- 5-10 grams of arginine, ornithine (before retiring)
- 3-5 grams of tryptophan plus 6 calcium tablets (before retiring)
So there you have it, a Vegetarian bodybuilding plan from the Iron Guru himself. If however, you’re on the other end of the spectrum and need help shifting unwanted weight, why not check out Vince’s ‘Definition Diet’, available here.